How I manage my Blond Fundus- an update

glasses






















5 years ago when we moved into our house I started getting headaches. I'd be in bed 2-3 days at a time. Oh the agony! It was horrible.

We had moved to the far west of county and I was frequently driving home in the afternoons. Along Sunset Highway US26. I just knew it was cancer. Or blindness. So off to the Doctor I go. My old Eye Doctor had sold her practice and I had new Eye Doctor. I explained my headaches and fears and told him that I had been told I was sensitive to light ( I didn't know why) by another Doctor.
He took one look and said "wow, thats neat. That is the Blondest Fundus I have ever seen." He went on to explain all about the fundus and pigment.

He talked me into ordering sunglasses and I thought "What an ass! Doesn't he know I have cancer?"
2 weeks after getting the sunglasses my mood starting improving. 2 months after getting my sunglasses, I left them at home and drove home in the afternoon straight at the sun and knew I was headed for a headache. I took IB before it really blew up, put my sunnies on indoors and waited to see if I nipped it in the bud. I greatly reduced the headache. Next day I was fine. Hallelujah! 
 I thought I was fixed, perfecto. Im cured! This Doctor is a miracle worker! When I took my mother in for her annual check up, I shook his hand and thanked him for changing my life.
I was still getting lots of light leakage from the sides, our light bulbs had all been switched out and I still checked out the lights when I entered a room.
Then I went for my annual check up. Eye Fashion had changed and big glasses are in. And Transitions Xtra has been released. Lets call it "TX". TX gets a little dark in the car so I don't have to switch to sunnies, gets darker outside and cuts the glare of  indoor light. I ordered a pair of big Roy Orbison RayBans with TX. I also ordered a pair of Marma Photochromic sunnies with TX in Pink. Pink lenses are soothing to the eyes and feel like a walk in the shadey woods. I often wear them at night while driving to cut the glare of headlights.
I wear sunglasses at night. Indoors. I carry extra glasses.  Coming out of a building into the light,  I now pull to the side, let my glasses/eyes adjust before I proceed.  All of our rooms have a low light option that I can use at night.
When in restaurants I sit with my back to cars in the lot as the light bouncing off chrome and windows tends to make me believe the people I'm with are idiots. I never knew the incredible amount of stress lights were putting me under. Never knowing I had this problem or what it meant to my stress levels, I can look back at my life and see situation after situation where it played a negative role in my interactions with people.
Im not sure I'd call it fixed but its totally managable.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Did you ever think that you may have some vampire blood in you? Bet your doc didn't think of that... ;)

Kimberly said...

Jill cracks me up.
I knew you had light sensitivities, but I don't think I realized how bad it was. No wonder you wanted to skip out on Sisters. I am glad to know that your eye doctor was able to help you do much.

Pétra said...

I didn't know all these details. It's so good that sunglasses do the trick it would be hard to be a blind quilter but I think you would figure out a way.

sew on and sew on, Cherri said...

Plus...sunglasses make you look like a movie star!

jacquie said...

who knew? headaches are debilitating no matter the cause...trust me....i know. i'm so glad you found a solution!