Modern Butterfly A Goal Realized

 
I'm published in  Generation Q! Squee!  
Long ago I made samples for Connecting Threads. I was thrilled.  I was being paid to make. How awesome is that I ask you?  I was a professional with the W-2 to prove it. woot!
 It was a great experience and I will always be grateful for all I learned. really and truly. 
but.... 
they picked the fabric, the design and I just followed a pattern.  
Many magazines do the same thing, ask you to make something with a certain fabric or change elements. etc. 

After a while, my skills grew and my interest in  creating my own work became more of a priority.  
So I set a new GOAL: Make my own work and get it published.  
 This is quilt is kinda the start of a whole Mid Century Modern Series that I'm probably about mid way thru. I'm making with these Mid Century shapes that speak to a different cooler age. Its kind of like a quilty art history intensive for one. 
How its made:  Pieced.  This could made in about 2 hours if you just cut shapes out and fused them on whole cloth.  ( I could do a whole a monologue about how much I hate fusing, don"t get me started. I hate it. I've done it. still hate it.)  If that's your thing: go for it.

If you want to see what is happening in my studio and see sneak peeks of what I'm working on check out my Instagram feed.  OR Subscribe to my blog and my finishes will come straight to your mailbox.
If you live Local in Portland, Oregon  I'll be doing a trunk show and talking about my process at the next Modern Club Meeting at The Pine Needle in Lake Oswego on March 26th.  Social time starts at 5:30 and the meeting 6:00 - 8:00.  

Tonight I went to Hand Sew Happy Hour, 2 hours to sit and hang with friends I rarely see. I got to see Ale for her birthday and meet her sweet daughter (the inspiration for her online name GoldWillow) and sit with Michelle and catch up. An afternoon well spent.  
Today is Pi day.  Hope you get to have a slice. 
Quilters Rock, 
Rachel

4 comments:

AnnMarie said...

Love, love the quilt, quilting and the green background! No pie here as it's Lent. I did put the symbol in my college age son's sandwich container this morning.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation Rachel. This is fabulous...and so is the pattern.

Gail Lizette said...

Congrats Rachel! Rockin design!

Unknown said...

Did you know there is a 12 word phrase you can communicate to your man... that will induce intense emotions of love and instinctual attraction for you buried within his chest?

Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, worship and care for you with his entire heart...

12 Words That Fuel A Man's Desire Response

This impulse is so built-in to a man's mind that it will make him work harder than before to make your relationship as strong as it can be.

Matter-of-fact, triggering this dominant impulse is so mandatory to having the best ever relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

...You'll immediately notice him expose his mind and soul for you in a way he never expressed before and he'll perceive you as the only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly fascinated him.